Fort Niagara is located at the mouth of the Niagara River in Youngstown, New York. It is a historic site that presents a surprising combination of 17th century buildings and fortifications, where Amerindian, French, British and American soldiers fought for control more than 200 years ago.
René Robert Cavelier de la Salte left Fort Frontenac in 1678 and built the first structure called Fort Conti.
On July 25, 1687, the French army accompanied by militiamen abandoned the fort on Lake Ontario, which was burned by Governor Denonville’s army as it left the devastated country.
On July 31, 1687, the Governor of New France, the Marquis de Denonville, had the new Fort Denonville built on this site.
The Fort houses many exhibits with original artifacts telling the story of this historic place.
Old Fort Niagara is also a perfect place for a picnic!
It is open all year round, except New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
From January to June from 9am to 5pm.
From July to August – from 9am to 7pm.
From September to December – from 9am to 5pm.